Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hi, my name is Brooke... and I can't cook.

I have two degrees (Five if you count kindergarten, eighth grade and high school graduations). I've also been to Scotland, England, France, Argentina and I'm going to Nicaragua in a few weeks. Oh - and I have a "real job" as the Coordinator of Promotional Programs at the Oklahoma Pork Council.

Whew. Ok. Now that I've overcompensated - I can tell you that I have no idea how to cook. I mean, I can make an amazing dish of Spaghettios with a side of Ramen Noodles.

I'll just skip right to it. About 3 weeks ago at our first Backyard Barbecue with Tulsa's News on 6 Travis Meyer, I was preparing for my first on-air interview. We were discussing questions he may or may not ask me on air.

Travis: "Is pulled pork easy to make?"
Me: ::silent::
Travis: "Is pulled pork easy to make?"
Me: Oh, right. Um. Can you not ask me that?

Travis looked at me like I was a twenty-three-year-old moron.

It was then I knew I had to take this cooking thing seriously. If not for my job's sake - for the sake of earning instant street-cred by having a kitchenaid mixer on my counter top. (A girl can dream, right?)

So, this is an official invitation. I need help. Send me easy recipes, I'll make them, I'll let you know how it goes. Tell your friends, aunts, Uncle Jerry, Cousin Steve, grandma... recruit the troops. I'm going to need it.

Brooke

1 comment:

  1. Before I met your coworker, it was a lot of macaroni & cheese and frozen pizzas. But, that was college I guess. I know how to make honey-wheat bread from scratch but Nikki doesn't believe me because in 11 years I haven't done it yet. But really, I can (our could at one point).

    The easy things start with recipes. As long as you can follow instructions you are golden. Just don't get too many things going at once until you get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete