Monday, July 19, 2010

Back from Hiatus.

I'm back in the office. To conclude my Master's program in International Agriculture, I spent a week in Nicaragua.
I was a part of a 10 person agricultural team from Oklahoma State University, which was a part of a bigger team with Builders for Children: A project of Feed the Children. Our mini-team had the opportunity to work with small agricultural communities and their agricultural projects, while the others in our team [shout out to Arkansas, South Carolina, & Hawaii] helped build relationships with the people living in the community, by providing arts and crafts projects, vacation Bible school, and participating in Leadership Conferences.


The OSU team during a pit stop at the Pacific Ocean.

How does this fit into a Basics with Brooke post? Let me just skip right to it.
In rural Nicaragua, the need for sustainable agriculture is important, and the need to feed your family is even more important. We saw an opportunity to help the local communities in the latter by recognizing the availability of goats and their limited use of them.


We taught them how to make goat cheese, as well as, how to harvest "cabra" [goat] and cook 3 dishes with the meat. My job: grilling. Not only did they eat it - they asked for seconds!

During the cheese-making class, our interpreter skipped class.
So, we translated the class ourselves. This was team work at it's finest.


Don't get too excited - I've only been back in the office for 4 hours - I'll get that post up asap, though. Promise.

brooke.

No comments:

Post a Comment